I’ve got OSX 10.8 running in a VMWare ESXi 5.1 server. The base instructions came from here and are recreated below. The instructions and unlocker should also work for any VMWare product.
- obtain OSX. I created a recovery image from my Air. Those instructions are below.
- Get Donk’s unlocker for VMWare. I used unlock-all-110.zip, attached here for posterity.
- Patch ESX using the unlocker instructions
- Create a 64-bit OSX guest with only one CPU, 4GB RAM, LSI Logic Parallel SCSI and E1000 network
- DO NOT power up the VM. Instead edit the VMX file as follows:
- erase all lines showing CPUID
- Add the following lines to have the CPU show up as a Core 2 Duo:
hostCPUID.0 = "0000000668747541444d416369746e65" hostCPUID.1 = "00500f100002080000802209178bfbff" hostCPUID.80000001 = "00500f1000001242000035ff2fd3fbff" guestCPUID.0 = "00000006756e65476c65746e49656e69" guestCPUID.1 = "000006f10000080080802209078bfbff" guestCPUID.80000001 = "00500f1000001242000003e92bd3fbff" userCPUID.0 = "0000000668747541444d416369746e65" userCPUID.1 = "00500f100002080080802209078bfbff" userCPUID.80000001 = "00500f1000001242000003e92bd3fbff" cpuid.0.ebx="0111:0101:0110:1110:0110:0101:0100:0111" cpuid.0.edx="0100:1001:0110:0101:0110:1110:0110:1001" cpuid.0.ecx="0110:1100:0110:0101:0111:0100:0110:1110" cpuid.1.eax="0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0110:1111:0001"
- Attach the OSX ISO and boot it.
- Do a normal OSX Install
Creating a bootable OSX Installer ISO from the recovery partition on your Mac¶
diskutil list to see the where the recovery partition is. On my Air the output looks like this:
/dev/disk0 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_CoreStorage 499.4 GB disk0s2 3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
diskutil mount readOnly /dev/foo where
foo is the identifier for the recovery HD (
/dev/disk0s3 in my example above)
The actual recovery image is hidden, so it won’t auto-mount. We don’t want to mount it though, we want to copy it to a .cdr image, which is pretty much identical to an iso:
hdiutil convert -format UDTO -o ~/Downloads/osximg/osx.iso /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/BaseSystem.dmg
This should give you an
osx.iso.cdr file, which you can just rename. There’s your recovery iso.